The San Diego 5K is a fast, scenic ‘”Downhill into Downtown”‘ 3.1-mile race, designed for all ages and abilities to enjoy!
- Experience our signature “Downhill into Downtown” 3.1-mile course!
- FREE Bib Personalization to include your name or message (available until Feb 1st)
- FREE Shuttle to the 5K Start from Petco Park
- Collectible 2015 Special Edition 5K Finisher’s Medal!
- Official San Diego 5K Shirt
- Official San Diego Half Marathon & 5K Gear Bag.
- Gear Check with drop-off near the 5K start line
- Fresh Water at Aid Stations
- Chronotrack Precision Chip Finish Time
To keep updated on new perks as we announce them, “Like” us on Facebook!
$45 - 1st 500
$55 - until Expo or sold out
$75 - at Expo (unless sold out)
Capacity: The San Diego 5K is limited to 1,200 participants.
Friday & Saturday (March 6 & 7, 2015) – Expo Days
Plan your packet pickup anytime during our 2-day Sport, Health & Fitness Expo at the beautiful Broadway Pier. The Expo is FREE and open to the public.
Sunday, March 8, 2015 – Race Day!
6:00am*: Shuttles begin to the 5K Start from Petco Park’s Tailgate Lot. Arrive early to Petco Park – the last shuttle departs at 6:30am. Check your bag, stretch those muscles, and get pumped to start the race with good vibes!
7:14am*: 5K Start (Wave 1, subsequent waves to follow, ~1 min apart) on University Avenue in Hillcrest
7:30am* – 1:00pm*: Finish into the “Celebrate San Diego” Gaslamp Block Party! Invite your friends and family – the block party is FREE & open to the public.
*All times are approximate. Daylight savings starts at 2:00am PST on Sunday, March 8, 2015.
Our 5K (3.1-mile race) has been designed to carry runners over a fast & scenic course that is ‘downhill into downtown’ San Diego! Shuttles will take 5K participants from Petco Park’s Tailgate Lot to University Avenue in Hillcrest. The course runs primarily downhill along 6th Avenue with a finish into downtown on 5th Avenue, and features our post race event: “Celebrate San Diego” Gaslamp Block Party.
San Diego 5K Course & Elevation Map - Click to enlarge:
5K Course Highlights
- Fast & Scenic 3.1-mile course
- Finishes ‘downhill into downtown’ San Diego, complete with a “Celebrate San Diego” Gaslamp Block Party post-race event
- 1-hour (19 minute per mile) course time limit
- USATF Certification Code: CA13021RS
To ensure a great experience for every runner, we will be utilizing a wave start. This means that runners will be grouped according to their individually predicted finish time. Each wave starts separately, one after the other, with short intervals in between. Wave starts allow for plenty of space along the course, without affecting your ‘chip’ time (or, the elapsed time to go from start line to finish line). When you register for the 5K, please be prepared to estimate your expected finish time so you can start in the correct wave.
Keep hydrated and refreshed! Fully staffed and equipped water and support stations will be positioned along the course.
- Water will be provided at each Aid Station: Miles 0.7, Mile 2, & at the finish line (Mile 3.1)
The 5K Medical Team is a dedicated group of medical professionals and first responders who are ready to assess any race day medical needs and provide first aid if necessary.
- Medical Support will be at the Mile 2 Aid Station at the Finish Line.
Unauthorized bicycles, motorized vehicles, wheelchairs and strollers not permitted on the 5K race course due to safety concerns.
Downtown San Diego, adjacent to Petco Park - Shuttles to 5K Start from Petco Park’s Tailgate Lot begin at 6:00am. Please arrive early – the last Shuttle Departs at 6:30am.
All registrations can be completed online in order to participate. Registration steps include:
- Race Selection. Choose either the Half Marathon (13.1-mile) or 5K (3.1-mile) race.
- Runner Info. Enter each runner’s individual information, one at a time. Please be prepared to estimate each runner’s finish time. (We can accept multiple runner registrations in a single transaction, however, each runner must be present to register in order to acknowledge/sign the electronic rules & waiver.)
- Additional Options (for an additional fee). Details are listed below under Registrations Options and include: VIP Upgrades, Race Packet Pickup/Delivery Options, & Post-Race Meals.
- Support. Offer support to one or more of our local charity partners by fundraising &/or donating now.
- Payment. All major credit cards accepted.
- Confirmation. Participants can also confirm their bib number at any time using our Bib # Lookup.
- VIP upgrade – includes pre- & post-race receptions, free parking and private restrooms!
- Dick’s Last Resort “Brunch & Brew” – Celebrate your finish with a great meal and fun local hang-out, as finisher’s on 5th Avenue pass by the outdoor patio.
- Cafe Sevilla “Hot Off the Griddle” Breakfast Buffet – Enjoy spanish-inpired ambiance while re-fueling after the race, also located conveniently on 5th Avenue.
Your 5K race packet will include your race number, timing chip, safety pins, premium tee shirt and any final instructions for race day. We will be implementing the latest timing chip technology, or “B-tag”, that will be pre-attached to your race bib.
5K Race packets must be picked up in person at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, March 6 or Saturday, March 7, 2015. Be prepared to show your photo ID to claim your race packet. Race numbers are non-transferable*, irreplaceable if lost, and entry fees are nonrefundable* (see below for only exceptions).
If you cannot pick up your race packet, you may have a friend or family member pick it up for you, as long as they bring a copy of your photo ID and signed Waiver.
FREE Bib Personalization:
Bib personalization options (e.g. your name or an inspirational message) up to 8 characters are available during the registration process for a limited time.
B-Tag Note and Instructions: B-tag timing chips are disposable, embedded in your bib, and do not need to be returned after the race. “B-tags” will not need to be separated from your race number for any reason. Your timing chip is activated once you cross the starting line.
All entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable with the following exceptions only:
Active duty military members who are unable to participate because they are unexpectedly deployed may choose to either defer their entry to the following year’s race or receive a refund. Email your request with a copy of your orders to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 5K has a time limit of 1 hour (average pace of 19:00 minutes per mile). For your safety & convenience, transport vehicles will be used to get you to the event finish in the event you are not able to complete the race as planned, or you can complete the course on sidewalks as a pedestrian.
New Runners’ Etiquette tip: Always be prepared to move to the right hand side of the course to allow other participants to pass, if needed.
Every 5K participant will receive a Premium Tee Shirt. Shirts can be picked up at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo along with your race packet. Race shirts will be mailed along with their race packet to those who purchased the mail delivery option during registration.
Bag / Gear Check:
Gear bag check is an easy way for us to store your items (like extra clothing) during your race. Your race packet, available at our expo, will contain everything you need! To check-in your gear, place your items in the gear bag, cinch it closed, and use the enclosed zip tie to attach your gear check label to your bag. (Your gear check label can be found along the bottom portion of your race bib and has your bib number pre-printed on it for easy identification & retrieval after your race). Please do not use gear check for valuables such as your car keys, cell phone, or jewelry, as we cannot be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
Every San Diego 5K participant will receive a finisher’s medal after completing the race, regardless of finish time.
At 8:45am on race day, 5K race results will be posted near the Finish Line. If you are an Overall or Age group winner, “Congratulations!”; please pick-up your award at the Rockin’ Baja restaurant located at 5th Avenue & K St. 5K Overall & Age Group Awards will include:
- Top 3 Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Top 3 Masters (age 40 & above) Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Age Group Winners – Top 3 Male & Female Winners in the following age groups: 13 & under, 14-18, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, and 80+.
*Please note that all age group awards will be based on net chip time and all overall awards will be based on gun time.
For Team awards, please see Team Info for details.
Driving and Parking
Please park adjacent to Petco Park in downtown San Diego. There are plenty of parking and public transportation options, but please plan to arrive early. All parking information is available for both the Expo and race day in our downloadable “final instructions”. Final instructions will be emailed to all registered participants approximately 1 week before race day.