The San Diego 5K is a fast & scenic ‘Downhill into Downtown’ 3.1-mile race, designed for all ages & abilities to enjoy.
Final Instructions Now Available!
Printing tip: When you download the Final Instructions, they will appear in your browser. To print, zoom in/out, or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button or hover over the bottom of your browser page.
Gaslamp Block Party Map …with Race Day Discounts!
Celebrate San Diego @ The Gaslamp Block Party! Download this map (exclusively for you) for great local food, complete with discounts for our runners, families & friends!
Printing tip: When you download the Map, it will appear in your browser. To print, zoom in/out, or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button or hover over the bottom of your browser page.
Save time when you pick up your Race Packet at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on March 8 or 9, 2013! Download the 2013 San Diego Half Marathon & 5K Waiver and bring a signed copy with you to the Expo.
Printing tip: When you download the Waiver, it will appear in your browser. To print, zoom in/out, or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button or hover over the bottom of your browser page.
If you cannot pick up your race packet, you may have a friend or family member pick it up for you at the Expo. They will need to present a copy of your photo ID and the signed waiver to pick up your packet.
$49 - online until 3/2/13* – sold out
Note: The 5K is limited to 1,200 participants.
FRIDAY, MARCH 7, 2014
3pm-7pm Sport, Health & Fitness Expo
SATURDAY, MARCH 8, 2014
9am – 5pm Sport, Health & Fitness Expo
SUNDAY, MARCH 9, 2014
Start time: ~7:14am*, Shuttles to 5K Start from Petco Park’s Tailgate Lot begin at 6:00am. Please arrive early – the last Shuttle Departs at 6:30am.
Post Race Event: 7:30am-1:00pm “Celebrate San Diego” at the Gaslamp Block Party
*Daylight Savings Time starts at 2:00 am PST on Sunday, March 9, 2014
Our 5K (3.1-mile race) has been designed to carry runners over a fast & scenic course that is ‘downhill into downtown’ San Diego! Shuttles will take 5K participants from Petco Park’s Tailgate Lot to University Avenue in Hillcrest. The course runs primarily downhill along 6th Avenue with a finish into downtown on 5th Avenue, and features our post race event: “Celebrate San Diego” at the Gaslamp Block Party.
San Diego 5K Course & Elevation Map** - Click to enlarge:
5K Course Highlights
- Fast & Scenic 3.1-mile course
- Finishes ‘downhill into downtown’ San Diego, complete with a “Celebrate San Diego” Gaslamp Block Party post-race event
- Hundreds of Volunteers
- Aid station Support
- Physicians, nurses, plus additional roving medical & safety personnel
- 1-hour (19 minute per mile) course time limit
- USATF Certification Code: CA13021RS
5K Perks include:
- Collectible ‘San Diego-themed’ 5K Finisher’s Medal
- Official San Diego 5K Premium Tee Shirt (Unisex & Youth sizes available. See Sizing Chart.)
- Official Gear Bag with “San Diego Half Marathon & 5K” Logo
- All 5K participants will be Shuttled from Petco Park to the 5K Start Line beginning at 6:00am. Parking is available adjacent to Petco Park, only a few blocks from the Finish Line.
- “Celebrate San Diego” at the Gaslamp Block Party - FREE & open to the public.
- Two-day Sport, Health & Fitness Expo March 7th & 8th at the beautiful Port Pavilion on the Broadway Pier. The Expo is free & open to the public.
- FREE Bib Personalization for your name or inspirational message (available until February 1st)
- Mile Markers at Every Mile
- Gear Check – dropoff is near the 5K start line & pick-up is near the 5K finish area
- Fresh PureFlo Water at Aid Stations
- Chronotrack Precision Chip Finish Time
To ensure a great experience for every runner, we will be utilizing a wave start. This means that runners will be grouped according to their individually predicted finish time. Each wave starts separately, one after the other, with short intervals in between. Wave starts allow for plenty of space along the course, without affecting your ‘chip’ time (or, the elapsed time to go from start line to finish line). When you register for the 5K, please be prepared to estimate your expected finish time so you can start in the correct wave.
Keep hydrated and refreshed! Fully staffed and equipped water and support stations will be positioned along the course.
- Water will be provided at each Aid Station: Miles 0.7, Mile 2, & at the finish line (Mile 3.1)
The 5K Medical Team is a dedicated group of medical professionals and first responders who are ready to assess any race day medical needs and provide first aid if necessary.
- Medical Support will be at the Mile 2 Aid Station at the Finish Line.
Unauthorized bicycles, motorized vehicles, wheelchairs and strollers not permitted on the 5K race course due to safety concerns.
Downtown San Diego, adjacent to Petco Park - Shuttles to 5K Start from Petco Park’s Tailgate Lot begin at 6:00am. Please arrive early – the last Shuttle Departs at 6:30am.
All registrations can be completed online in order to participate. Registration steps include:
- Race Selection. Choose either the Half Marathon (13.1-mile) or 5K (3.1-mile) race.
- Runner Info. Enter each runner’s individual information, one at a time. Please be prepared to estimate each runner’s finish time. (We can accept multiple runner registrations in a single transaction, however, each runner must be present to register in order to acknowledge/sign the electronic rules & waiver.)
- Additional Options (for an additional fee). For your convenience, options can include: VIP Upgrades, Race Packet Pickup/Delivery Options, Pasta Buffet Dinner &/or Post-Race Meals.
- Support. Offer support to one or more of our local charity partners.
- Payment. All major credit cards accepted.
- Confirmation. Participants can also confirm their bib number at any time using our Bib # Lookup.
Your 5K race packet will include your race number, timing chip, safety pins, premium tee shirt and any final instructions for race day. We will be implementing the latest timing chip technology, or “B-tag”, that will be pre-attached to your race number (bib).
5K Race packets must be picked up in person at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, March 7th or Saturday, March 8, 2014. Be prepared to show your photo ID to claim your race packet. Race numbers are non-transferable*, irreplaceable if lost, and entry fees are nonrefundable* (see below for only exceptions).
If you cannot pick up your race packet, you may have a friend or family member pick it up for you (they will need to present a copy of your photo ID). You will need to fill out the waiver ahead of time and have your friend/family member bring it with them when they pick up your packet.
FREE Bib Personalization:
Bib personalization options (e.g. your name or an inspirational message) up to 8 characters are available during the registration process for a limited time.
B-Tag Note and Instructions: B-tag timing chips are disposable, embedded in your bib, and do not need to be returned after the race. “B-tags” will not need to be separated from your race number for any reason. Your timing chip is activated once you cross the starting line.
All entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable with the following exceptions only:
Active duty military members who are unable to participate because they are unexpectedly deployed may choose to either defer their entry to the following year’s race or receive a refund. Email your request with a copy of your orders to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 5K has a time limit of 1 hour (average pace of 19:00 minutes per mile). For your safety & convenience, transport vehicles will be used to get you to the event finish in the event you are not able to complete the race as planned, or you can complete the course on sidewalks as a pedestrian.
New Runners’ Etiquette tip: Always be prepared to move to the right hand side of the course to allow other participants to pass, if needed.
Every 5K participant will receive a Premium Tee Shirt. Shirts can be picked up at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo along with your race packet. Race shirts will be mailed for those who purchased the mail delivery option during the registration process.
Bag / Gear Check:
Gear bag check is an easy way for us to store your items (like extra clothing) during your race. Your race packet, available at our expo, will contain everything you need! To check-in your gear, place your items in the gear bag, cinch it closed, and use the enclosed zip tie to attach your gear check label to your bag. (Your gear check label can be found along the bottom portion of your race bib and has your bib number pre-printed on it for easy identification & retrieval after your race). Please do not use gear check for valuables such as your car keys, cell phone, or jewelry, as we cannot be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
Every San Diego 5K participant will receive a finisher’s medal after completing the race, regardless of finish time.
At 8:30am on race day, 5K race results will be posted near the Finish Line. If you are an Overall or Age group winner, “Congratulations!”; please pick-up your award at the Rockin’ Baja restaurant located at 5th Avenue & K St. 5K Overall & Age Group Awards will include:
- Top 3 Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Top 3 Masters (age 40 & above) Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Age Group Winners – Top 3 Male & Female Winners in the following age groups: 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, and 80+.
*Please note that all age group awards will be based on net chip time and all overall awards will be based on gun time.
For Co-ed Team awards, please see Team Info for details.
Driving and Parking
Please park adjacent to Petco Park in downtown San Diego. There are plenty of parking and public transportation options, but please plan to arrive early. All parking information is available for both the Expo and race day in our downloadable “final instructions” at the top of this page.