The San Diego Half Marathon is a 13.1-mile race that celebrates the beauty and uniqueness of San Diego, while raising money to support our communities!
Half Marathon Perks include:
- “Celebrate San Diego” at the Gaslamp Block Party - FREE & open to the public.
- Two-day Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on March 7 & 8, 2014 at the beautiful Port Pavilion on the Broadway Pier. The Expo is FREE & open to the public.
- FREE Bib Personalization for your name or inspirational message (available for a limited time only – until February 1st)
- Collectible ‘San Diego-themed’ Finisher’s Medal
- Official SDHM Technical Running Shirt (unisex & women’s size charts here)
- Official SDHM Gear Bag
- Gear Check – dropoff near start line
- Mile Markers at Every Mile
- Fresh PureFlo Water at Every Water Station
- Ultima Replenisher (grape flavor) electrolyte drink, beginning at Mile 4, at several Aid Stations
- Clif Energy Gels at Mile 8.5
- Chronotrack Precision Chip Finish Time (with 5k, 10k & 10-mile splits)
- Online Runner Tracking - available to friends & family to get updates as you race
- Live Jumbotron at the Finish
- For even more details, visit: Registration Perks & More
Final Instructions: (Note: These Final Instructions are from the 2013 Event)
Printing tip: When you download the Final Instructions, they will appear in your browser. To print, zoom in/out, or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button or hover over the bottom of your browser page.
Gaslamp Block Party Map including Race Day: (Note: This Map is from the 2013 Event)
Discounts! Celebrate San Diego @ The Gaslamp Block Party! Download this map (exclusively for you) for great local food, complete with discounts for our runners, families & friends!
Printing tip: When you download the Map, it will appear in your browser. To print, zoom in/out, or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button or hover over the bottom of your browser page.
Save time when you pick up your Race Packet at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on March 7 or 8, 2014! Download the 2013 San Diego Half Marathon & 5K Waiver and bring a signed copy with you to the Expo.
Printing tip: When you download the Waiver, it will appear in your browser. To print, zoom in/out, or save as a PDF, click your right mouse button or hover over the bottom of your browser page.
If you cannot pick up your race packet, you may have a friend or family member pick it up for you at the Expo. They will need to present a copy of your photo ID and the signed waiver to pick up your packet.
Live Tracking: (Note: Live Tracking Link is from the 2013 Event)
Friends and family can track your progress along the half marathon course live! They simply need the name you used to register and/or your bib number! Track a runner live.
FRIDAY, MARCH 7, 2014
3pm – 7pm Sport, Health & Fitness Expo
SATURDAY, MARCH 8, 2014
9am – 5pm Sport, Health & Fitness Expo
SUNDAY, MARCH 9, 2014
Start time: 7:18am*, Half Marathon Wave Start
Post Race Event: 7:30am – 1:00pm “Celebrate San Diego” at the Gaslamp Block Party
*Daylight Savings Time starts at 2:00 am PST on Sunday, March 9, 2014
Downtown San Diego – adjacent to Petco Park
Registration Fees (Pricing is from 2013 Event):
$109 - online, until 3.02.13*
$150 – limited availability at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo only, 3.08.13-3.09.13*
*or until sold out
Note: The San Diego Half Marathon is limited to 7,000 participants.
Driving and Parking
The San Diego Half Marathon start line is adjacent to Petco Park in downtown San Diego, with the finish line only 2-1/2 blocks away in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter. There are plenty of parking and public transportation options, but please plan to arrive early. Please park adjacent to Petco Park in downtown San Diego. There are plenty of parking and public transportation options, but please plan to arrive early. All parking information is available for both the Expo and race day in our downloadable “final instructions” at the top of this page.
Also, check our Travel & Hotels page for more details.
All registrations can be completed online in order to participate. Registration steps include:
- Race Selection. Choose either the Half Marathon (13.1-mile) or 5K (3.1-mile) race.
- Runner Info. Enter each runner’s individual information, one at a time. Please be prepared to estimate each runner’s finish time. (We can accept multiple runner registrations in a single transaction, however, each runner must be present to register in order to acknowledge/sign the electronic rules & waiver.)
- Additional Options (for an additional fee). For your convenience, options can include: VIP Upgrades, Race Packet Pickup/Delivery Options, Pasta Buffet Dinner &/or Post-Race Meals.
- Support. Offer support to one or more of our local charity partners.
- Payment. All major credit cards accepted.
- Confirmation. Participants can also confirm their bib number at any time using our Bib # Lookup.
Kids Camp at New Children’s Museum:
The New Children’s Museum, conveniently located just blocks from our start/finish lines in downtown San Diego, has partnered with us to provide an atmosphere where kids will Think, Play, Create…and have as much fun as you will! Plus, 100% of the proceeds will benefit the museum, fulfilling their mission to empower young minds to ‘get creative’!
Drop your kids off on race morning, and pick them up in time to enjoy the Gaslamp Block Party finish with you!
Your race packet will include your race number, timing chip, safety pins, technical t-shirt and any final instructions for race day. We will be implementing the latest timing chip technology, or “B-tag”, that will be pre-attached to your race number (bib).
Race packets must be picked up in person at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, March 7 or Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Port Pavilion on the Broadway Pier. Be prepared to show your photo ID to claim your race packet. Race numbers are non-transferable, irreplaceable if lost, and entry fees are nonrefundable* (see below for only exceptions).
If you cannot pick up your race packet, you may have a friend or family member pick it up for you (they will need to present a copy of your photo ID). You will need to fill out the waiver ahead of time and have your friend/family member bring it with them when they pick up your packet. Download the 2013 San Diego Half Marathon & 5K Waiver.
FREE Bib Personalization:
To include your name or inspirational message pre-printed on your bib, be sure to specify what you would like to print, up to 8 characters in length. Please note: this option is only available until February 1st.
B-Tag Note and Instructions: B-tag timing chips are disposable, embedded in your bib, and do not need to be returned after the race. “B-tags” will not need to be separated from your race number for any reason. Your timing chip is activated once you cross the starting line.
All entry fees are non-refundable & non-transferable, with the following exceptions:
Active duty military members who are unable to participate because they are unexpectedly deployed may choose to either defer their entry to the following year’s race or receive a refund. Email your request with a copy of your orders to: email@example.com
The Half Marathon has a time limit of 3hours 30minutes (average pace of 16:00 minutes per mile). For your convenience, transport vehicles will be used to get you to the event finish in the event you are not able to complete the race as planned, or you can complete the course on sidewalks as a pedestrian.
New Runners’ Etiquette tip: Always be prepared to move to the right side of the course to allow other participants to pass, if needed.
Finish Time Goals (Pacer list is from 2013 Event):
Do you have a finish time goal you want to meet? Our friends at West Coast Road Runners will be leading pace groups to help you accomplish your PR! Here is a list of half marathon finish times to choose from that will have a pacer:
- 1 hr 30 mins – Dennis
- 1 hr 35 mins – Greg
- 1 hr 40 mins – Chris
- 1 hr 45 mins – Raymond
- 1 hr 50 mins – Gina
- 1 hr 55 mins – Mike
- 2 hrs – Sharon & Sheila
- 2 hrs 10 mins – Anthony
- 2 hrs 20 mins – Tim & Dave
- 2 hrs 30 mins – Ron & Jorge
- 2 hrs 45 mins – Cheryl & Judy
- 3 hrs – Mariam & Lesli
Just look for the road runner signs in your wave at the start line and follow the pace group leader to the finish! You will have an opportunity to meet your pacer at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on Friday March 7th, or Saturday, March 8, 2014 – look for the West Coast Road Runner Booth near race packet pickup.
Every half marathon participant will receive a high-quality, technical fabric finisher’s shirt. Shirts can be picked up at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo along with your race packet. Race shirts will be mailed with the race bib for an additional fee for those who selected this option during the registration process.
Bag / Gear Check:
Gear bag check is an easy way for us to store your items (like extra clothing) during your race. Your race packet, available at our expo, will contain everything you need! To check-in your gear, place your items in the gear bag, cinch it closed, and use the enclosed zip tie to attach your gear check label to your bag. (Your gear check label can be found along the bottom portion of your race bib and has your bib number pre-printed on it for easy identification & retrieval after your race). Please do not use gear check for valuables such as your car keys, cell phone, or jewelry, as we cannot be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
Every San Diego Half Marathon participant will receive a finisher’s medal after completing the race, regardless of finish time.
At 9:30am on race day, Half Marathon race results will be posted near the Finish Line. If you are an Overall or Age group winner, “Congratulations!”; please pick-up your award at the Rockin’ Baja restaurant located at 5th Avenue & K St. Half Marathon Overall & Age Group Awards will include:
- Top 3 Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Top 3 Masters (age 40 & above) Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Age Group Winners – Top 3 Male & Female Winners in the following age groups: 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, and 80+.
*Please note that all age group awards will be based on net chip time and all overall awards will be based on gun time.
For Half Marathon Team awards, please see Team Info for details.