2014 FINAL INSTRUCTIONS – NOW AVAILABLE!
All the information you need for race weekend can be found in the San Diego Half Marathon & 5K Final Instructions – download by clicking on the image below.
Also, plan your post-race celebration with our Gaslamp Block Party Map! Click on the map below to download. You will find great deals from participating Gaslamp Quarter restaurants – and even a special $1 Anheuser Busch Beer offer exclusively for all half marathon and relay finishers!
The San Diego Half Marathon is a 13.1-mile race that celebrates the beauty and uniqueness of San Diego, while raising money to support our communities & charities!
- The 2014 San Diego Half Marathon & 2-Person Half Marathon is SOLD OUT.
- The 2014 San Diego 5K has spots available for purchase at the Expo.
Half Marathon Perks
- Experience our signature scenic Half Marathon Course that showcases San Diego!
- FREE Bib Personalization for your name or short message (available until Feb 1st)
- Collectible ‘San Diego-themed’ Finisher’s Medal
- Official SDHM Technical Running Shirt
- Official SDHM Gear Bag
- Fresh PureFlo Water at Every Water Station
- FREE Online Real-Time Runner Tracking - available to friends online to get updates as you race at no additional charge
- Live Jumbotron at the Finish
- For even more Perk details, visit: Perks & More or “Like” us on Facebook to see them as they are announced!
Half Marathon - SOLD OUT
Capacity: The San Diego Half Marathon is limited to 7,500 participants.
Friday & Saturday (March 7 & 8, 2014) – Expo Days
Plan your packet pickup anytime during our 2-day Sport, Health & Fitness Expo at the beautiful Broadway Pier. The Expo is FREE & open to the public.
Sunday, March 9, 2014 – Race Day!
6:30am*: Arrive early to Petco Park to gear check your bag, stretch those muscles, and get pumped up by the music to start the race with good vibes!
7:20am*: Half Marathon Start (Wave 1, subsequent waves to follow, ~2 mins apart) at Petco Park in downtown San Diego
7:30am*-1:00pm*: Finish into the “Celebrate San Diego” Gaslamp Block Party! Invite your friends and family – the block party is FREE & open to the public.
*All times are approximate. Daylight savings starts at 2:00am PST on Sunday, March 9, 2014.
Driving and Parking
The San Diego Half Marathon start line is adjacent to Petco Park in downtown San Diego, with the finish line only 2-1/2 blocks away in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter. There are plenty of parking and public transportation options, but please plan to arrive early. Please park adjacent to Petco Park in downtown San Diego. There are plenty of parking and public transportation options, but please plan to arrive early. All parking information will be included in our downloadable “final instructions” and will be emailed to all participants approximately 2 weeks before race day. Also, check our Travel & Hotels page for more details.
All registrations can be completed online in order to participate. Registration steps include:
- Race Selection. Choose either the Half Marathon (13.1-mile), 2-Person Half Marathon Relay (6.55-miles each runner) or 5K (3.1-mile) race.
- Runner Info. Enter each runner’s individual information, one at a time. Please be prepared to estimate each runner’s finish time. We can accept multiple runner registrations in a single transaction, however, each runner must be present to register in order to acknowledge/sign the electronic rules & waiver.
- Additional Options (for an additional fee). Details are listed below under Registrations Options and include: The “San Diego – Mammoth Challenge” upgrade, VIP Upgrades, Race Packet Pickup/Delivery Options (not available after 2/1/14), Pasta Buffet Dinner &/or Post-Race Meals. For detailed descriptions of VIP and meal options, please visit our online Store.
- Support. Offer support to one or more of our local charity partners by fundraising &/or donating now.
- Payment. All major credit cards accepted.
- Confirmation. Once you are registered, you can verify your bib number by visiting our online Bib # Look-up.
The registration options listed below are available during registration. If you have already registered, they are also available for purchase individually in our online Store.
- The “San Diego – Mammoth Challenge” upgrade will add a Mammoth Half Marathon registration to your order. To learn more about the “San Diego – Mammoth Challenge”, click here.
- VIP upgrade – includes pre- & post-race receptions adjacent to the start & finish lines, free parking and private restrooms!
- Charity Pasta Buffet Dinner – conveniently located at the Omni Gallery in downtown San Diego. A great opportunity to carb-load & be inspired by our great causes the night before the race!
- Dick’s Last Resort “Brunch & Brew” – Celebrate your finish with a great meal and fun local hang-out, as finisher’s on 5th Avenue pass by the outdoor patio.
- Cafe Sevilla “Hot Off the Griddle” Breakfast Buffet – Enjoy spanish-inpired ambiance while re-fueling after the race, also located conveniently on 5th Avenue.
Your race packet will include your race number, timing chip, safety pins, technical t-shirt and gear bag. We will be implementing the latest timing chip technology, or “B-tag”, that will be pre-attached to your race number (bib).
Race packets must be picked up in person at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, March 7 or Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Port Pavilion on the Broadway Pier. Be prepared to show your photo ID to claim your race packet. Race numbers are non-transferable, irreplaceable if lost, and entry fees are nonrefundable* (see below for only exceptions).
If you cannot pick up your race packet, you may have a friend or family member pick it up for you (they will need to present a copy of your photo ID). You will need to fill out the waiver ahead of time and have your friend/family member bring it with them when they pick up your packet.
FREE Bib Personalization:
To include your name or inspirational message pre-printed on your bib, be sure to specify what you would like to print, up to 8 characters in length. Please note: this option is only available until February 1st.
B-Tag Note and Instructions: B-tag timing chips are disposable, embedded in your bib, and do not need to be returned after the race. “B-tags” will not need to be separated from your race number for any reason. Your timing chip is activated once you cross the starting line.
All entry fees are non-refundable & non-transferable, with the following exception: Active duty military members who are unable to participate because they are unexpectedly deployed may choose to either defer their entry to the following year’s race or receive a refund. Email your request with a copy of your orders to: email@example.com
The Half Marathon has a time limit of 3hours 30minutes (average pace of 16:00 minutes per mile). For your convenience, transport vehicles will be used to get you to the event finish in the event you are not able to complete the race as planned, or you can complete the course on sidewalks as a pedestrian.
New Runners’ Etiquette tip: Always be prepared to move to the right side of the course to allow other participants to pass, if needed.
Training and Clubs:
For FREE downloadable training plans and a list of local clubs to train with, please visit Training and Clubs.
Finish Time Goals:
Do you have a finish time goal you want to meet? Our friends at West Coast Road Runners will be leading pace groups to help you accomplish your PR! Here is a list of half marathon finish times to choose from that will have a pacer:
- 1 hr 35 mins – Greg
- 1 hr 40 mins – Dennis
- 1 hr 45 mins – Dave
- 1 hr 50 mins – Raymond
- 1 hr 55 mins – Mike
- 2 hrs – Vincent & Sheila
- 2 hrs 10 mins – Anthony & Sharon
- 2 hrs 20 mins – Tim & Ron
- 2 hrs 30 mins – Jorge & Remmi
- 2 hrs 45 mins – Judy & Irasema
- 3 hrs – Miriam & Lesli
Just look for the road runner signs in your wave at the start line and follow the pace group leader to the finish! You will have an opportunity to meet your pacer at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo on Friday March 7th, or Saturday, March 8, 2014 – look for the West Coast Road Runner Booth near race packet pickup.
Every half marathon participant will receive a high-quality, technical fabric finisher’s shirt. Shirts can be picked up at the Sport, Health & Fitness Expo along with your race packet. Race shirts will be mailed with the race bib for an additional fee for those who selected this option during the registration process.
Bag / Gear Check:
Gear bag check is an easy way for us to store your items (like extra clothing) during your race. Your race packet, available at our expo, will contain everything you need! To check-in your gear, place your items in the gear bag, cinch it closed, and use the enclosed zip tie to attach your gear check label to your bag. (Your gear check label can be found along the bottom portion of your race bib and has your bib number pre-printed on it for easy identification & retrieval after your race). Please do not use gear check for valuables such as your car keys, cell phone, or jewelry, as we cannot be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
Every San Diego Half Marathon participant will receive a finisher’s medal after completing the race, regardless of finish time.
At 10:00am on race day, Half Marathon race results will be posted in the finish area in the Hilton Terrace. If you are an Overall or Age group winner, “Congratulations!”; please pick-up your award at the Rockin’ Baja restaurant located at 5th Avenue & K St. Half Marathon Overall & Age Group Awards will include:
- Top 3 Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Top 3 Masters (age 40 & above) Overall, Male & Female Winners
- Age Group Winners – Top 3 Male & Female Winners in the following age groups: 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, and 80+.
*Please note that all age group awards will be based on net chip time and all overall awards will be based on gun time.
For Half Marathon Team awards, please see Team Info for details.