The San Diego Half Marathon has been designed to carry runners over a spectacular, scenic course through one of the world’s most beautiful cities! The route for the half marathon begins at Petco Park under the Omni Sky Bridge, winds its way through downtown San Diego to Harbor Drive with great views of San Diego Bay, makes it way through Liberty Station and passes the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD), then goes up Washington Street through Mission Hills and into Hillcrest. The last few miles head downhill adjacent to Balboa Park with a big finish on 5th Avenue, featuring a “Celebrate San Diego” Gaslamp Block Party, complete with a live jumbotron!
San Diego Half Marathon Course Map – Click to enlarge (PDF format):
Elevation Map – Click here to download (PDF format)
Interactive Course Map with Photos:
- Scenic 13.1-mile course
- Start Line: at Petco Park, under the Omni Sky Bridge on Tony Gwynn Dr.
- Finish Line: 5th Avenue & ‘K’ St., (2 blocks from the Start Line)
- Downtown Finish, complete with Celebrate San Diego Gaslamp Block Party!
- Over 1000 volunteers to support your race!
- Aid stations approximately every 1.6-miles, to include fresh water
- Ultima Replenisher electrolyte drink & Clif energy gels available along the course
- Physicians, nurses and additional roving medical & safety personnel
- Pace Groups available from 1:30 to 3:00 hours. (See Individual Info to learn more)
- 3h 30m half marathon course time limit
- USATF Certification Code: CA13022RS
To ensure a great experience for every runner, we will be utilizing a wave start. This means that you will be grouped according to your individually predicted finish time. Each wave starts separately, one after the other, with short intervals in between. Wave starts allow for plenty of space along the course, without affecting your ‘chip’ time (or, the elapsed time to go from start line to finish line). When you register for the San Diego Half Marathon, be prepared to estimate your expected finish time by using your latest training run or race results so you can start in the correct wave. For more information, please visit the table of finish times/paces in the FAQ.
New Runners’ Etiquette tip: Always be prepared to move to the right hand side of the course to allow other participants to pass, if needed.
Keep hydrated and refreshed while you race! Fully-staffed and equipped water and support stations will be positioned along the course with water and portable restrooms.
- Ultima Electrolyte Drink (orange flavor) will be provided at 4 Aid Stations: Mile 3.3, 6.6, 9.5 and 10.8.
- Fresh Water will be provided at all 8 Aid Stations: Miles 1.6, 3.3, 5.0, 6.6, 8.2, 9.5, 10.8 and 12.0.
- Clif Shot energy gels (vanilla, razz, citrus and mocha) will be available, preceding the water station at Mile 8.2.
- Portable Restrooms will be located at Mile 1.0, 3.3, 6.3, 8.5, 9.9, and 10.8
The San Diego Half Marathon Medical Team is a dedicated group of medical professionals and first responders who are ready to assess any race day medical needs and provide first aid if necessary. Please click here to download to review important general medical information.
- Medical Support will be at 4 Aid Stations: Mile 3.3, 6.7, 9.6 and 12.0. There will also be several medical support stations at the half marathon finish line.
- Race Guards, a team of well-equipped medical professionals in partnership with Ace Nexcare, will also be running the race alongside participants in each wave
Unauthorized bicycles, motorized vehicles, wheelchairs and strollers not permitted on the race course due to safety concerns.